Keyera gathers and processes raw natural gas, providing an essential service for our customers.
Natural gas from producers' wells is transported to our gathering pipelines for delivery to our processing plants, where impurities are removed and economically viable products are separated from the raw gas stream. With an extensive network of approximately 5,000 kilometres of pipelines and 17 natural gas processing plants located in some of the most prospective, gas prone areas of the Western Canada Sedimentary Basin, we can offer flexible services tailored to producer needs. Many of our plants are able to process both sweet and sour gas and extract valuable natural gas liquids from the raw gas stream.
(1) Keyera is the operator of all the gas plants listed except Edson, which is operated by Repsol Canada Energy Partnership (formerly Talisman Energy Inc.) and Alder Flats (formally known as “O’Chiese Nees-Ohpawganu’ck”), which is operated by Bellatrix. Keyera also has a 36% ownership interest in the Gregg Lake-Obed Pipeline system, a 129-km sour gas pipeline system operated by SemCAMS that originates in the Hinton area and connects to the SemCAMS Kaybob 3 gas plant. Keyera is also the sole owner of the following gas plants which were not active in 2016: Paddle River gas plant (operation suspended since February 2015) and Caribou gas plant (operation suspended since December 2015).
(2) Ownership interest as at December 31, 2016 rounded to the nearest whole number.
(3) Turnaround cycles are typically six years for sweet gas plants and four years for sour gas plants.
(4) Information in these columns: (a) is presented as at December 31, 2016; (b) represents total gross capacity and throughput (not only Keyera’s net capacity); and (c) has been rounded to the nearest whole number. The average annual daily throughput is calculated based on the total annual throughput for the facility divided by 365 days.
(5) Actual available processing capacity at each plant is often less than the licensed capacity depending on a number of factors, including the capacity of various functional units, operating conditions and gas composition. The difference between licensed capacity and actual operating capacity may be more significant where plant operating conditions or actual gas compositions differ significantly from original plant or equipment design. At Ricinus, while the licensed capacity is 221 MMcf/d, one of the NGL processing trains, with a capacity of approximately 97 MMcf/d, is not currently operational. With the expansion of Simonette in 2015, the licensed capacity was increased to 300 MMcf/d; however, the estimated actual capacity with the installation of the new facilities is approximately 250 MMcf/d, (prior to the expansion, the licensed capacity was 150 MMcf/d). (See “Risk Factors – Operational Risks” in Keyera's Annual Information Form).
(6) TE- turbo expansion, LO – lean oil recovery, RFG – refrigeration. In the past, modifications to the refrigeration systems have been completed at the Brazeau River, Nordegg River and Pembina North gas plants to enhance recoveries. Installation of the turbo expander at the Rimbey gas plant was completed in mid-2015, following which, the lean oil recovery unit was shut down.
(7) R – NGL rail handling facilities, T – NGL truck handling facilities.
(8) Acid gas from Nordegg River is delivered to the Brazeau River gas plant for acid gas injection.
(9) The West Pembina gas plant is licensed as a sour gas plant, however because of declining sour gas volumes, the sour side of the plant was shut down in January 2016 and the plant is currently only processing sweet volumes. During 2016, Keyera increased its working interest in the West Pembina plant by 1.6056%.
(10) An additional 35% working interest in the Alder Flats plant and associated gathering pipelines was purchased in 2016 with an effective date of August 8th 2016. Keyera did not increase its working interest ownership in the associated fuel gas line, therefore its overall working ownership interest including all functional units is approximately 64%.